"van" should sometimes be "Van" - how do I do that?
Mika Hietanen
2007-04-13 11:04:18 UTC
Dear list-members,

if I remember correctly, some time ago there were some questions about names with "van"
on this list. I now have an additional problem in the same category.

One of the leading argumentation theorists in the world is Frans H. van Eemeren. The fist
time I refer to him in my text everything is ok – my system gives the complete
bibliographical listing the first time (Frans H. van Eemeren, A Systematic Theory etc.). All
subsequent references are in a shorter format with family name only and a shorttitle (van
Eemeren, Argumentation). However, when these references begin a footnote, the "van"
should be "Van".

I now get:
23. van Eemeren, Argumentation, p. 23.

But I would need:
23. Van Eemeren, Argumentation, p. 23.

If I make a change in the bib-file and change all "van Eemeren" to "Van Eemeren" I will get
a capital "V" in many places where I do not want it, so that will not work. (Only Belgian
names are always written with a capital "V" in "Van").

Is there any way to give an alternative name or something, without disturbing the
Bibiography?

In Dutch names like these it is not an option to leave out the "van" and just write
"Eemeren".

My current solution is suggested by the Oxford Guide to Style which states that it is
permissible to write "Van ..." also in running text if the given names are omitted. If they
are given, however, the form must be "... van ...".

I have a book called "A Systematic Theory of Argumentation" by van Eemeren and
Grootendorst. It is typeset with LaTeX and I guess the typesetter (with OUP!) was unable to
solve this particular problem because all footnotes which should begin with "Van
Eemeren", in stead begin "See van Eemeren".

I guess this problem persists regardless of any local configurations so I will not include a
minimum working example now. If any of you have met with this problem, please let me
know! All help is greatly appreciated.

Mika Hietanen
Helsinki

If you have a problem, please provide a complete minimal example document (with a small bibliography database), which runs out of he box without any superfluous packages loaded, otherwise we could not help.
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:jurabib-***@yahoogroups.com
mailto:jurabib-***@yahoogroups.com

jurabib-***@yahoogroups.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Carsten Ziegert
2007-04-13 13:02:05 UTC
Mika and all,

I have also problems with Dutch names, but somewhat differently. I do
get "Van den Eynde" at the begin of a footnote but I also get a capital
letter when it is not at the begin, compare e.g.

107 Van den Eynde, ,,Blessed by God—blessed be God”, S. 418 spricht im
Zusammenhang des Segens von performativen Sprechakten.

with

99 Lust, Eynikel, Hauspie, Greek-English Lexicon of the Septuagint, S.
251, vgl. Van den Eynde, ,,Blessed by God — blessed be God”, S. 415.

I am asking myself if there is a possibility at all to distinguish
between the begin and the end of a footnote.

Yours,
Carsten

Here is my bib entry, followed by my configuration:

@InCollection{eynde:eulogeo,
author = {Sabine van den Eynde},
sortkey = {eyndevandenblessed},
title = {Blessed by God --- blessed be God:
\selectlanguage{polutonikogreek}Eulogew\selectlanguage{ngerman}
and the Concept of Blessing in the LXX with Special Attention to the
Book of Ruth},
shorttitle = {Blessed by God --- blessed be God},
booktitle = {Interpreting translation: Studies on the LXX and Ezekiel in
Honour of Johan Lust},
pages = {S.~415-436},
publisher = {Univ. Press},
year = {2005},
editor = {Florentino {García Martínez}},
series = {Bibliotheca ephemeridum theologicarum Lovaniensium~192},
address = {Leuven},
annote = {Kopie vorhanden},
}

\bibliographystyle{jox}

jurabib.cfg:

\ProvidesFile{jurabib.cfg}[jurabib local configuration file]
\jurabibsetup{%
citefull=first,%
titleformat=italic,%
titleformat=all,%
titleformat=commasep,%
ibidem=strict,%
idem=strict,%
edby=true,%
commabeforerest=true,%
lookforgender,
}
%%
\AddTo\bibsgerman{%
%
% author, publisher, year
\renewcommand*{\bibapyldelim}{\nolinebreak\hspace{-0.3em},\space}
\renewcommand*{\bibapyrdelim}{}
%
\renewcommand*{\bibatsep}{,}
%\renewcommand*{\bibaesep}{, }
\renewcommand*{\bibbdsep}{,}
\renewcommand*{\bibbtsep}{}
\renewcommand*{\edbysep}{,}
%
\renewcommand*{\editorname}{(Hg.)}
\renewcommand*{\editorsname}{(Hg.)}
\renewcommand*{\edbyname}{Hg.}
\renewcommand*{\Edbyname}{Hg.}
\renewcommand*{\editionname}{Auf\/l.}
\renewcommand*{\ibidemmidname}{ebd.}
\renewcommand*{\ibidemname}{Ebd.}
\renewcommand*{\Volumename}{Bd.}
\renewcommand*{\volumename}{Bd.}
\renewcommand*{\urldatecomment}{vom }
\renewcommand*{\biburlprefix}{\nolinebreak\hspace{-0.3em},\space}
\renewcommand*{\biburlsuffix}{}
\renewcommand*{\etalname}{\unskip\nobreakspace{}u.a.}
%
\renewcommand*{\bibapifont}[1]{\mbox{,\hspace{-0.1em},}#1''}% bib
article/incollection title font
\renewcommand*{\jbapifont}[1]{\mbox{,\hspace{-0.1em},}#1''}% text
article/incollection title font
%
\renewcommand*{\bibidemSmname}{Ders.}
}
%%
%%
%% End of file `jurabib.cfg'.
--
Carsten Ziegert
http://www.cmziegert.org

c***@kde-france.org
2007-04-16 08:07:53 UTC
Post by Carsten Ziegert
Mika and all,
I have also problems with Dutch names, but somewhat differently. I do
get "Van den Eynde" at the begin of a footnote but I also get a capital
letter when it is not at the begin, compare e.g.
107 Van den Eynde, ,,Blessed by God?blessed be God?, S. 418 spricht im
Zusammenhang des Segens von performativen Sprechakten.
with
99 Lust, Eynikel, Hauspie, Greek-English Lexicon of the Septuagint, S.
251, vgl. Van den Eynde, ,,Blessed by God ? blessed be God?, S. 415.
I am asking myself if there is a possibility at all to distinguish
between the begin and the end of a footnote.
Yours,
Carsten
It is correct behaviour, you would only only a small v if you put the given
name or Mr. before the Dutch name.

Damien van den Eynde writes ...
Mr. van den Eynde writes ...
but Van den Eynde writes in his fine book

Cheers,
Charles

Tom de Bruin
2007-04-16 08:34:54 UTC
Post by c***@kde-france.org
It is correct behaviour, you would only only a small v if you put the given
name or Mr. before the Dutch name.
Damien van den Eynde writes ...
Mr. van den Eynde writes ...
but Van den Eynde writes in his fine book
Agreed. I am Dutch, and my Name is Tom de Bruin. It would be
Tom de Bruin writes
Mr de Bruin writes
De Bruin writes

c***@kde-france.org
2007-04-16 09:00:23 UTC
Post by Tom de Bruin
Post by c***@kde-france.org
It is correct behaviour, you would only only a small v if you put the
given name or Mr. before the Dutch name.
Damien van den Eynde writes ...
Mr. van den Eynde writes ...
but Van den Eynde writes in his fine book
Agreed. I am Dutch, and my Name is Tom de Bruin. It would be
Tom de Bruin writes
Mr de Bruin writes
De Bruin writes
Yes, but for French
Charles de Miramon writes
M. de Miramon writes
Miramon writes.... Europe is complex ;-)

Mika, the origin of your problem comes from the fact that in jurabib.bst
there is no routine to capitalize the 'von part' but there is one in
jox.bst (normal, jox was done by a Dutch !!)

If you want to capitalize the 'von part' copy in the jox.bst lines 2056-2109
of the jox.bst containing the capitalization routine + the author
formatting routine called format.lab.names and overwrite the
format.lab.names in jurabib.bst and also format.editor.lab.names
(formatting of the editor name, not present in jox).

I'll send you privately a changed file.

Cheers,
Charles