empty ibidem, idem
JC
2006-12-07 12:02:25 UTC
I'm using an MLA style for my dissertation and have been slowly
tweaking the way jurabib displays things. My bibliography has a long
way to go yet, but I'm currently worried about the parenthetical
citations in the text.

MLA doesn't use "ibid," "ibidem," or "idem," as such; instead, it just
doesn't repeat the author/shorttitle if there are consecutive
references to one author/text. A parenthetical citation to a
just-cited text, then, would have only the page number in it, like
this: (19).

Defining idemname and ibidemname as null sets works to a degree, but
there's still a leftover space, like this: ( 19). Is there an obvious
switch I'm forgetting to switch? I've looked throughout the
jurabib.sty and jurabib.bst files (I've modified mine a little to make
my MLA-style more accurate), but I can't see anything I can try.

I'm including a minimal example (which works with unmodified, beta
0.61 files) below. Thanks for your help, and thanks for the jurabib
package (which has saved me much stress)!
James

======================================
test.tex
======================================

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage{jurabib}
\jurabibsetup{round,idem=nostrict,ibidem=nostrict,bibformat=ibidem}

\AddTo\bibsenglish{%
\def\idemname{}
\def\ibidemname{}
}

\begin{document}

% ibidem
\cite[12]{levin66aa}
\cite[23]{levin66aa}

% ibidem
\cite[34]{scholes67aa}
\cite[45]{scholes67aa}

% idem
\cite[56]{scholes79aa}
\cite[78]{scholes79aa}

\bibliographystyle{jurabib}
\bibliography{test}

\end{document}

======================================
test.bib
======================================
@incollection{levin66aa,
Address = {New York},
Author = {Harry Levin},
Booktitle = {Refractions: Essays in Comparative Literature},
Pages = {271-295},
Publisher = {Oxford University Press},
Title = {What Was Modernism?},
Year = {1966}}

@book{scholes67aa,
Address = {New York},
Author = {Robert Scholes},
Publisher = {Oxford University Press},
Title = {The Fabulators},
Year = {1967}}

@book{scholes79aa,
Address = {Urbana},
Author = {Robert Scholes},
Publisher = {University of Illinois Press},
Title = {Fabulation and Metafiction},
Year = {1979}}
Jens Berger
2006-12-10 11:14:09 UTC
Post by JC
Hi,
I'm using an MLA style for my dissertation and have been slowly
tweaking the way jurabib displays things. My bibliography has a long
way to go yet, but I'm currently worried about the parenthetical
citations in the text.
MLA doesn't use "ibid," "ibidem," or "idem," as such; instead, it just
doesn't repeat the author/shorttitle if there are consecutive
references to one author/text. A parenthetical citation to a
just-cited text, then, would have only the page number in it, like
this: (19).
Defining idemname and ibidemname as null sets works to a degree, but
there's still a leftover space, like this: ( 19). Is there an obvious
switch I'm forgetting to switch? I've looked throughout the
jurabib.sty and jurabib.bst files (I've modified mine a little to make
my MLA-style more accurate), but I can't see anything I can try.
This is not impossible, but what should happen if there are two subsequent
citations with the same page? The parenthetical citation is empty for now!

Jens
--
Die wenigsten, die nichts sagen, schweigen. www.jurabib.org

If you have a problem, please provide a complete minimal example document (with a small bibliography database), which runs out of he box without any superfluous packages loaded, otherwise we could not help.
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:jurabib-***@yahoogroups.com
mailto:jurabib-***@yahoogroups.com

jurabib-***@yahoogroups.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
JC
2006-12-10 19:27:16 UTC
Post by Jens Berger
what should happen if there are two subsequent
citations with the same page? The parenthetical
citation is empty for now!
Good point. I hadn't noticed that before, though it does happen a
couple times in my file. What theoretically SHOULD happen is that
every citation would show at least the page number.

In MLA, subsequent citations (within one paragraph, anyway) pointing
to the same page shouldn't happen all that often: a later citation
implies that all material prior to it belongs to it, and MLA
recommends as few citations as possible to avoid unnecessary
interruptions. So, of two subsequent citations in one paragraph, the
first should be omitted---though it is reasonable to expect the user
to be able to keep to this guideline on his or her own. Keeping the
page number in all citations is an elegant compromise that would
satisfy MLA.

Thanks for your help,
James